Tonight I decided that the first dinner recipe I wanted to try was the Tamale Bake. The ingredients needed for the recipe are as follows:
- 2 (18-oz) tubes of pre-cooked polenta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 3 zucchini squash - sliced
- 1 (12-oz) package of Soy Chorizo (Excellent stuff by the way!)
- 2 (15-oz) cans of black beans - drained
- 1/2 enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cilantro
- sour cream - garnish
The directions were as follows:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Saute onion and zucchini until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chorizo and stir. Remove from heat.
3. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan. Place half of the polenta on the bottom. Sprinkle half each of the chorizo mixture, black beans, enchilada sauce, and shredded cheese. Repeat with the second layer.
4. Cover and bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is piping hot.
Thats pretty much it! Its was so easy to make and it tasted great. The book lists the prep time as 20 minutes and the cooking time as 30 minutes. If you follow the recipe as listed it makes 10 serving and the nutritional information per serving is as follow:
- 294 calories
- 12g fat
- 4g saturated fat
- 15g protein
- 35g carbs
- 10g fiber